Sunday, March 11, 2012
Okay, the Nerves Have Hit!
As I mentioned yesterday I signed up for a 5k. Although I've been to the town where the 5k is being held I had no idea the exact location. Today we took the 30 minute drive as a family to scope things out.
I printed the map and we were able to locate the starting point (which is also the finishing). We drove the course and that's when the nerves started hitting. In the description it says it's a flat course. True, it is, for the most part. But at, about, .5 mile in it starts going uphill on a bridge that crosses a river. It's quite a rise, then descent. Since the route finishes the same way it starts that means towards the end it's the same but in reverse.
Driving 3.1 miles seems MUCH further than when I walk it outside and on the treadmill. I was a little bit concerned with the territory we covered.
I'm going to try and not let my nerves show. My daughters are doing this with me so I have to be the all-confident, all-knowing Mom so that they will not be any more nervous than I'm sure they already are.
I pulled up the results from last year. The slowest jogger/walker did the 5k in 54 minutes. There were about 75 5k'ers. (More for the 10mile segment). I'm hoping what they say is true, that during a race environment you actually go faster!
It's also amazing to see how the kicked up nerves is revving up my food cravings and desires to eat and binge! I'll probably feel this way all week so I need to stay vigilant on staying the course. To top it off, my newly turned 12 yo daughter is having her friend party Friday night. Thankfully not at our house but it's NOT what I want to be doing when I have to leave the house at 6:45 the next morning.
Okay, DEEP BREATH!
This is part of the journey. Growth and Challenge! I will not become the stronger person by hybernating in my home. That's what I've been doing for the past 44 years and look where that got me! I chose the name Overhauling-Me not just to represent the weight I'll be losing but to represent ALL that I need to improve.
Overcoming my fears WILL make me stronger and will help me be a better parent...Leading by example.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your first 5k, how exciting! I did the same thing, looked up previous years results for the first race I ever did. It gave me great peace of mind to know that not everyone is super speedy.
ReplyDeleteLately, I've been wanting to binge big time. What's worked, so far, is to have a small portion of whatever I'm craving. If I follow up with a big glass of water it usually works.
Good luck with your 5k!!!