Wednesday, March 7, 2012

End of Week 9

It's amazing how fast time goes by. March 7th would have come today whether I was on this journey or not. Thank goodness I chose to get started and have been going for the past 9 weeks. I'm really enjoying the results! But it's just the tip of the iceberg.

I guess my results have been enough for people to notice. Last night I ran into a friend at the high school orientation for our 8th graders. This morning I received a phone call from her. "How are you doing it, how are you staying away from the junk?" she asked. With a bit of a pause from me she then said, "Or are you?"

That's the thing I'm NOT staying away from the junk. Am I eating it every day, NO! Is it the main dish for my meals like before? NO! I was honest and told her I've been to the movies with my husband and had popcorn and M&Ms. I had cheesecake with cherries for our family Valentines dinner. I've had birthday ice cream for my kids and, yes, even a cupcake. I've had pizza, rolls and lasagna. But the key, at least for me, I told her is that this is a lifestyle change. I can't realistically give up 100% of all those things for the rest of my life. But I pick and choose what I want and when I want it.

At the last two basketball games for my son my in-laws came too. And with them they brought hot tamales, chocolate pieces, cashews loaded with salt. While there they purchased soda, popcorn and skittles. All of those items were offered around to our group. I said No. I had my almonds, water bottle and dried apricots to eat for my snacking if I had the need. I will not accept everything offered to me, I will consciously make my food choices.

I felt great getting the call from my friend, saying she's noticed my hard work. Later today I saw a lady I haven't seen since before Christmas. She too noticed that I've lost weight. What a great feeling. I have to admit I did stand a bit taller and tucked my belly in (as much as I could).

I've had very satisfying results for these 9 weeks. I can't wait to see what another 9 weeks will bring, then 18, 27, and even 99!

No comments:

Post a Comment