My first 5k COMPLETED! WOO HOO!! YAY For ME!!! YES!!!! It's such a great feeling to have set the goal, not wimp out and actually complete it!
We met up at the track and, due to miscommunication, one of my sisters didn't make it (Sorry, Nat!) But she's determined to do it and her hubby is going to be her 5k partner (What a guy).
I knew I'd be the slowest of the group. There was my 64 yr. old mom who is in AMAZING shape, my 32 yr. old sister who also wants to lose weight, and then my Awesome 16 yr. old daughter. Everyone took off walking and after a few problems with my ipod I was able keep a steady pace. My daughter lapped me several times, my sister lapped me as well, and my mom, who knows HOW far she ended up walking because she kept walking back and forth for visits. She may have gotten a 10k in.
After only four laps I really felt like I was struggling (pathetic, I know). I was telling myself if I can't make it to the end that's okay at least I tried and I'll improve the next time. At lap five a song came on my Ipod, "All Star" by Smash Mouth. The part that stuck in my head was, "Hey now you're an All Star get your game on, go play. Hey now you're a Rock Star get the show on get paid...Only shooting stars break the mold" WOO HOO, I AM an All Star!! And I definitely have my game on!
Here are some more lyrics from the song that made this my 5k theme song: "It's a cool place and they say it gets colder, You're bundled up now..." It was SO wet and rainy! Some of the lanes of the track were covered in an inch of water and by the end I was struggling, not because of my breathing but my cold, worn out thigh muscles were rebelling.
My sweet daughter finished first at 48minutes and was so wonderful, she came and walked with me the rest of my way. I confided in her that when I set the goal I didn't think I'd actually be able to do it but I DID and she helped me reach that finish line! My sister finished at one hour and I hobbled in (almost literally, I didn't want to resort to crawling across the finish line but I would have if it meant finishing) at 1 hour 4 minutes and 30 seconds.
We were drenched, shivering, soaked to the bone with cold hands and soggy feet but WE DID IT! A HUGE thanks to my wonderful support system, my family, and the encouragement from the blogging community! THANKS!
We've decided we're going to do this on the first Saturday of each month. It will be great to see our progress.
That is wonderful! You ROCK - Allstar! I am so proud for you! What a success story!
ReplyDeleteyou are an AWESOME ROLE MODEL.
ReplyDeleteseriously.
I hope I can do that for my daughter as well. the completion, sure, but the CONFIDING that you struggled and questioned and DID it.
what a gift you are to her.
MizFit
Great job!!! All Star is a great song - it's on my iPod too. It's amazing what one song can motivate us to do. Awesome work!
ReplyDeleteYou ARE an all star! You ROCK!
ReplyDeleteYou inspired me to do some exercise too, check out my blog :)
You are so amazing KIKI! You know what, you've inspired me to do a 5K a month! I literally just decided that right now. To begin with I'll do it on the treadmill, but when I get stronger (and MN doesn't have -20 wind chills) I'll find some local ones! YOU ARE TRULY AN INSPIRATION and that is the reason I read these blogs! Wonderful! You are a STAR!!
ReplyDeleteYou are inspiring, you got your game ON! Gotta love mom walking back and forth to visit :-).
ReplyDeleteRie
I am amazed at this incredible accomplishment. What a rush you must have felt as you crossed that finish line.
ReplyDeleteYou ARE an all star.
You rock Sis!
ReplyDeleteBack at ya, Nat!!
ReplyDelete