Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mom Knows Best

Today was busy! Basketball tournament for one son over an hour away, basketball practice for another son, church activity for three more which left two kids at home, the oldest and youngest. My husband went to the tournament leaving me responsible on the home front. Since four of my kids were busy at the same time I decided to take that opportunity to get some exercise in. I called up my sister, we parked in the parking lot where the basketball practice was going on and walked for a whole hour. I've got to say it just about killed me!! Baby Sis was very patient with me and stayed at my pace. I was thrilled to see my pedometer read 8,000 steps and it was only 11am.

After more busy, crazy stuff at home I needed to run to the mall. I very rarely go there and it was pretty pathetic when my four year old son said, Wow, I've never been here before. After getting our errands done we stopped off at a Gourmet Chocolate store inside the mall. I know, WHAT WAS I DOING WALKING INTO A DEN OF TEMPTATION! I felt STRONG and knew I would be okay. I let my son pick out one thing and my daughter as well. As I stood there I thought about my mom. She's a wonderful example of healthy living and fitness. At 57, right after my dad died, she road her bike across the United States starting in California and ending up in Florida. When I say bike I mean the kind maneuvered by man power not motor.

Looking at all that chocolate reminded me of how my mom does not really eat M&M's, Snickers etc...If she's going to have chocolate she gets the good stuff but she'll by only one of something, like one chocolate truffle and really enjoy it. I decided I've had some great results and treated myself to a small (about 3/4" square) sugar-free chocolate covered caramel. It was SOoo good and the perfect choice. The caramel was so chewy it took me awhile to eat that one little piece. I felt satisfied with one little piece.

Where it comes to health, fitness and making great life choices my mom DEFINITELY knows best. If I just follow her lead I'll reach my healthy goals and will have a very rich, full life. Just wish I followed the lead sooner! Thanks MOM!

3 comments:

  1. I love how much you admire your mother. It is one of those beautiful things! You must have felt pretty good after getting out of the Den of Sin without being neck deep in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear you remembered to enjoy life! Chocolate is delicious and should be enjoyed. You were so right to have that chocolate and savor it, you deserved it.

    A kit kat in the line at the grocery store is not savoring it, but a luxury boutique choc after hard work is definitely something to enjoy!

    Mmm...yummy. Happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiration your mother is!

    Great work on getting your steps in.

    ReplyDelete