Thursday, January 8, 2009

Need some better planning.

As I was getting ready to read in bed for awhile before going to sleep, I stopped to input all the food I've eaten today into Spark People. I was at least 600 calories short and I hadn't reached any of my numbers for fat, protein or carb either. I actually went in and made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk, enjoyed it while I watched a show with my hubby and came and logged the numbers again.

Although the numbers are closer I still didn't make it in range for my calories or fat. This has happened to me several times and then I debate whether I should go to bed and forget about getting enough calories in or eat something regardless of the time.

I have tried so many diets and to be honest with you eating at the calorie level they say I should scares me. I'm afraid by consumming the minimum of 1600 calories suggested it won't allow me to lose weight. I read one of the Biggest Loser books and they said, for my weight, I should be eating 2100 calories. YIKES! I'm too scared to try it.

Another thing, normally when I'm trying to lose weight I don't allow myself to eat 2-3 hours before going to bed. So, which is better? Getting in all your calories regardless of the time of day or cut off the eating a few hours before going to bed and try to do better in the calorie department the next day?

I think what I need to do is create a meal plan at least a day ahead if not a whole week ahead.

9 comments:

  1. I think that with planning ahead you will find yourself out of the predicament. I don't think that finishing off your calories close to bedtime is a good idea. I have experimented with saving calories for night time and it seems to slow my progress down. I am not a person who can cut off eating at like 7pm but I try to cut it off by 10pm and be in bed at midnight. That is just my personal preference and what works for me but you might find that if you are eating 1600 calories and consuming a large portion of them at night you may have slower progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that meal planning helps me a lot. I remember hearing something about how eating at night isn't as desirable because the body releases more insulin to store the food, since you're going to sleep with it still being digested. I guess it probably all depends on how much time a person leaves for digestion before going to sleep.

    If you are intimidated by the idea of eating more calories, you could take a couple weeks to gradually increase your calorie count, and feel out how your body responds. If you start putting on weight, then you can back your calories off to a previous level where you were still feeling good and losing weight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's scary, but you will actually lose weight faster. I was the same way when I first joined WW. I couldn't believe the amount of food I was supposed to be eating, but once I did, I was dropping 4-7 lbs a week (and at first that was without any real excersize).

    Just make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids as well. What worked for me was planning the time of day that I go longest without a meal or snack (for me it's between breakfast and lunch, with the work I do I don't get a break to eat then). Then I plan for more food at that earlier meal (again, for me it's breakfast). I know that I have to have something big that will take me through to the next meal/snack so I allow myself more points.

    I found that a lot of my problem was that I never got enough to eat (and that I wasn't eating the right things anyway), but once I was eating enough my body was much more willing to drop the weight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My coach has a great sentence that sums it up and it is nothing new: Calories in, Calories out.
    That's it. There has been a lot of research of late that does not prove that eating late will cause weight gain. It can cause you to not sleep as well but that is really a personal thing. I agree with Jenni - you will lose weight faster IF you eat what you need as your body won't be in a starvation mode and thinking that you aren't going to fuel it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My coach has a great sentence that sums it up and it is nothing new: Calories in, Calories out.
    That's it. There has been a lot of research of late that does not prove that eating late will cause weight gain. It can cause you to not sleep as well but that is really a personal thing. I agree with Jenni - you will lose weight faster IF you eat what you need as your body won't be in a starvation mode and thinking that you aren't going to fuel it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meal planning has indeed resolved issues like that in the past for me, and as far as eating at night goes, I definetly think eating extra points at night can be a hinderance.

    Either way, be good to yourself. You're doing great! Here's to another great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how 'bout just eating if you're hungry? I wouldn't eat just to get the calorie count up if I wasn't hungry - because that is kinda how we all got here in the first place. I would, though, stop myself from eating after a certain time if that was making me go over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS: Meanwhile - keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I eat what feels comfortable for me to eat each day. I don't force myself to eat if I am satisfied and not feeling deprived. Diets are not one size fits all. You have to tailor your plan for yourself. You know what you need. Eat when you are hungry.

    Planning your meals is a great tip though and may allow you to get in higher quality foods that aren't heavy on carbs and sugar.

    ReplyDelete