I want to thank the bloggers who have stopped by and taken the time to read my posts and comment. I read each and every one and they DO touch me and help me stay focused and motivated. THANKS!
Rebecca, from FAT FITNESS FOOD (sorry I can't connect you directly to her site my computer is being weird!)made a comment on my blog that has made me stop and think. She mentioned she was glad I was taking the time to enjoy life and that chocolate is definitely one of life's pleasures. I TOTALLY AGREE!
Her comment just reiterated thoughts that I've been having this past weekend. I've been on many DIETS and only once before did what I thought was a healthy lifestyle change in pursuit of lessening the amount of me. For sure diets DON'T WORK. My other attempt at a healthy lifestyle was a very low carb, high protein diet. The plan has you go into ketosis and stay there which helps curb the cravings.
It worked!!! I lost 70lbs in 3.5 months. I NEVER during that time caved to eating sugary junk food although I did eat off plan but very rarely. The problem with the plan was it wasn't a reasonable way to eat for the rest of my life. In fact when I went off of the diet for a week on a vacation weight quickly came back on and in just a few months I found myself back up to my original weight plus some.
During that weight loss attempt my kids literally cried when I wasn't eating a cheesecake I'd prepared for my family. They knew I love cheesecake. I was touched by their tears but it was a teaching moment for me. I let my kids know that it isn't the food that makes an event or occasion special it's the people you are with. I'm striving to follow that advice in this new and final plan of healthy living.
I don't think goodies, whether sugary, salty or carb filled, need to be caved into whenever they are served. But I also don't think they need to be avoided for the rest of our lives. Since I don't plan on giving that stuff up forever I am incorporating it into my healthy living.
I think, no, I know I've used food in the past to avoid life, to avoid feelings and to avoid living up to my potential. I'm done with that lifestyle. But there is some wonderful food to enjoy it just shouldn't be enjoyed daily or even weekly. There will be times that I stop and enjoy some of life's delicacies but my healthy living is going to allow me to really and truly ENJOY LIFE!
I agree with this post a hundred percent. The key to losing weight and then maintaining after you do is to make changes in your lifestyle that you can actually adhere to for the long haul. And, realistically, giving up all sweet, greasy, or deep-fried food for the rest of your life is slightly unrealistic. Something that I learned along the way (especially now that I'm maintaining) is that going out for ice cream once a month or eating a slice of cheesecake on a holiday is NOT going to make me gain weight as long as I eat healthy the other 99.9% of the time. Your attitude is such a great one, especially because I think its so easy to get caught up in the fear that one slip will ruin you. So NOT TRUE! Keep up the good work and good luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the mention kiki, although I was just reminding you of what you already knew! I always have a tub of organic chocolate ice cream (full-fat) in my freezer. It is by my favourite organic chocolate maker (I eat organic) and when I feel like it I have two scoops. I put them in a little cocktail glass so that the portion looks substantial and it is about 130cals. I love it and never feel guilty when I eat it. (About 3 times a week) If I don't have it, I may lose marginally more each week, but I want to enjoy life more! And chocolate ice-cream is a fun little way to do that!
ReplyDeleteamen! many of my readers have told me that my diet still isnt 'cleanclean' etc but Im doing what I can today (hello m&ms sometimes!) and for the long haul of, I hope, forever.
ReplyDeleteMizFit
I'm with you. There are foods I know I'm not giving up, so I work them into my plan and don't over indulge.
ReplyDeleteI just finished Diet Girl's book and she was very much about enjoying her chocolate in her amazing adventures. I took that so much to heart that I immediately hopped off the bus and went and had a slice of cake yesterday afternoon. This is a lifestyle change and that means living your life instead of being a slave to a restricted regiment. Of course, chocolate or cake won't be a daily treat but it will be a treat every now and again.
ReplyDelete