Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just MOVE!

I've always been a sedentary person. I LOVE to read, love to be on the computer and pretty much everything else I LOVE to do is done sitting down. I know the key for me to get healthy and drop some pounds is just to get this body moving. It's hard to change old habits but I'm trying.

Lately my life has been too busy to watch TV. We recently got a DVR and I LOVE it! The few shows I enjoy watching are now being taped for me to watch the next day. I've been watching my favorite shows by walking with them. I walk in place, walk forward and back, raise my knees high, step side to side (and squat while doing it you can really feel your thigh muscles being used!), do kicks to the front, kicks to the back and then just walk in place some more. I usually get 40minutes in and at least 5,000 steps!!!

Today I made a huge change. On Wednesdays there is a group of moms that get together for a play group. We go sometimes but each time I've gone I've noticed the moms just sit on the side visiting while the kids run around the gym. Of course that looked like fun so I joined in with the...SITTING! I thought today as I was getting five kids ready to go, "Why am I sitting on the side for an hour while my kids play?" I committed to NOT sitting down while I was there and just play and follow my kids around. Oh, My Goodness I got TONS of steps in!!!

As I get ready to head to bed my pedometer reads almost 12,000 steps!!! My calorie numbers are GREAT (this time the fat could be a little bit lower). It's been a great day!! And best of all I got to dance around the gym with my baby as we sang to the song "Number Rumba". I LOVE what a different mentality is allowing me to do!

4 comments:

  1. So, cool! I love the idea of doing something while watching TV. I know it would keep me from grazing...

    You did really great today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great accomplishment! Good for you and great for your kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12,000 steps - holy cow. That's so great. We also do the DVR thing - we never watch the shows until the next day. Hate commercials. Great job on the 12000 steps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhh I so recall doing that! (My Gym with my now 3 year old)
    and Im gonna have the Number Rumba in my head all day :)

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete