Friday, January 2, 2009

Everybody Else but NOT Me!

As a mom of 7, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a friend, a daycare provider and being a person that CAN'T say NO I've always put other people's needs, desires, wants before mine. Then to top it off, being afraid of the doctor (mostly because of the scale) I haven't taken the time to take care of me. I rarely go to the dentist and I haven't seen the eye doctor (which I need to) not because I'm afraid of their scale (there isn't any) but I'm embarrassed with my size and most chairs are starting to get tight in the hip area.

For the past year and a half I literally have felt like I am dying. I've cried to myself and not confided in anyone not even my hubby (until August) but yet I didn't go to the doctor. I let my weight get in the way. I've been having pains in the left quadrant of my chest, difficulty breathing, extreme light headedness even at times when I'm sitting down and feet that feel like they are broken which causes me to walk with a slight limp. Anyone of those reasons should have been enough to get me to the doctor but, NO. Due to my climbing weight this year and the fact that my female doctor left and I was assigned a male one I was too embarrassed to go in. I used the excuse that I was too busy.

I've had a cold/cough for the past two weeks which has turned into a sinus infection. I've done everything I could think of to cure it on my own so I wouldn't have to go in but it just won't go away. On Monday is when I started my plan, with determination, to get ME HEALTHY! On Tuesday I decided that part of getting me healthy was visiting with my doctor about my concerns and realized I could use the sinus infection to help me get myself there and use it to open the door. I called that same day hoping to get right in so I wouldn't chicken out but the soonest they had available was Friday, today.

While my mom was in town, after we walked our 5k, I told her what I've been feeling and she encouraged me to write down EVERY little thing that is ailing me so that I could make sure to mention it to the doctor.

I was nervous all day today leading up to my appointment but at the same time relieved because I knew I was taking an important step to get healthy and have my health provider on my side as I begin the process to OVERHAUL-ME!

The doctor's scale had me at 319 (higher than my starting weight on Monday). I haven't weighed yet but I'm sure my body has lost something. Each scale is just different. My blood pressure was 124/180. In the acceptable range but HIGH for me so that added to my concern. I talked to my doctor about my sinuses and thyroid (had a problem with it during my last pregnancy) then got into the nitty gritty about my chest pains, dizziness, and my pursuit to lose weight. We didn't have a lot of time to go over things because he wasn't expecting to be hit with a list of problems but he's being pro-active with me. It may have helped that I sat in his chair crying to him, "I have seven kids at home who need me. I need to be here for them. I don't want to die, I need to get healthy!"

He sent me to the lab to get my thyroid tested and said while I was there he wanted to do an EKG and an X-ray. I'm going back in two weeks to discuss the results and talk more about my symptoms and then in a month I'm going back for a complete one hour physical {I've never had one except the girly part at the O.B.) so he'll know more details about my health before advising me on my weight loss plan.

OVERHAULING-ME is my goal as I mentioned in my first blog post. I don't just want to see the numbers on the scale go down. I want to be healthy emotionally and from the inside out and make my weaknesses become strengths. It's time for me to take care of MYSELF first then I'll be around and more capable of taking care of EVERYBODY else.

10 comments:

  1. That is incredible! You faced your fears and now it seems that you are renewed and excited to make you a priority!!! Congrats on going and Good Luck with the tests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done the best thing! Putting yourself first can be hard to cross over to but sometimes the body will scream at you, what about me. It is funny how we would not ignore a loved one asking for help or time but become deaf for ourselves. Sounds like you have a good doc. who will be a good foundation. Your on a great road, good things to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important to take care of yourself in the midst of all of your commitments! Great first step. Doctors can really suck and it is hard to take the first step and be vulnerable to them. Really good that you did. You do want to be around for others BUT YOU WANT TO BE AROUND TO ENJOY LIFE TO THE FULLEST FOR YOURSELF. I think you are starting to realize that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you! It take courage to face your fears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you went in! I want you around a long long long time!
    Love you Sis! We can DO IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to do the Biggest Loser Online and am looking forward to connecting with a great bunch of folks...thank you for stopping by my blog.

    I'm glad to see you're taking charge of your health issues. It sounds like you've got a lot to live for and to be healthy for. I'm sure your family is glad too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck to you and congrats for facing your fears. You have so much to live for. I know you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally understand avoiding drs. dentists and such because of the weight issue.
    I had done this myself but have since taken care of things.
    So, GOOD FOR YOU!!! KiKi! There's always a sweet relief after facing your fears. I'm so happy you conquered yours!
    Your last paragraph perfectly reflects what alot of us need/want to work on. I sincerely hope you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad I took a minute to sit here and read this post. What you did was a HUGE step for YOU and I am so impressed and excited for you! Any good physician will be EXCITED to have a patient like you! You're being proactive and taking strides to change your life. You're a physician's dream! (wish you were one of our patients!!)

    Keep doing what you're doing, don't get discouraged, and don't be embarassed. GETTING THERE is half of the battle~ you're well on your way!

    XOXOXOXO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely relate to your quandry - we are so busy taking care of others and we let our own care disappear. How can we take care of them if we aren't here? I know you are saying the same thing. You can DO THIS! God is with you and will help you every step of the way (literally). He loves you so much. You need to LOVE YOU, TOO!!!

    ReplyDelete