Friday, January 9, 2009

Changes in such a small time.

I was watching Diet Tribe this morning. First of all I have never heard of the show and my sister mentioned it to me after the Season Premiere. I was a little bummed to have missed the opening but made a mental note to watch the show each week. Late last night Nat text me to let me know the season premiere was being shown again today.

I enjoyed it. Not as much as Biggest Loser but it's another show to learn from and receive inspiration as I make this journey.

There were two main statements that stuck out to me. When Shawna said. towards the end, the diet doesn't work, the workouts don't work I was struck with how little personal accountability she was taking. It made me realize I'm making a healthy change and it DOES work as long as I put all MY EFFORT into it.

It saddened me to hear of the struggles that Morgan has had with weight almost her whole life, I situation is very similar. She asked the question to herself, why am I doing this, why can't I just be happy with who I am and the body I have. I immediately thought because it's NOT HEALTHY! Should a person with a disease just be happy with who they are without getting help? What about a person that needs glasses, should they say,that's who I am I'm not going to do anything about it. NO, we would immediately counsel someone to get the help they needed. Being obese is uncomfortable, it's ugly but more importantly it's UNHEALTHY!!!

Why should I be happy with myself overindulging at McDonald's. Why should I be pleased with myself for sitting on the couch and not getting any activity in? I. LIKE. ME, I'm a very nice, caring person. I work hard for my family and friends. I'm smart, resourceful and trustworthy. These are qualities of me. These are things I can be proud of! But I will NOT go one more day being content with the rolls of skin, stretch marks (except the ones from my babies. Those are a badge of honor!), thighs twice as big as they should be and hips that won't fit in an airplane seat. My choices brought me the body that I have and through changing my choices I can AND WILL change it.

Today is day 12 of my healthy living and I already feel a change:
*I don't dread going upstairs. Before I used to go only to put my little ones down for nap or bed. Now I go up all the time, I've probably made that trip 8 times already today.
*I'm drinking water!!!! I could go weeks without any glasses of water before. It feels refreshing.
*My legs are getting stronger. I can feel the muscles slowly trying to emerge from the layers of fat surrounding them.
*I'm PLAYING with MY KIDS! I don't remember the last time I took my kids to the park so much and it's even winter time!
*I have TONS more energy. Everyday I used to take a nap when I put the little ones down. Now that's down to zero!
*I'm eating yummy, colorful and creative food. I actually get excited when I sit down to a meal. It looks GORGEOUS!
*I've lost four pounds.
*I'm setting an example for my family. Hubby went to the store last night and when he came home he said, "I didn't buy any ice cream" That's HUGE for him. YAY, sweetie!

When I get on the scale on Monday there might not be any drastic change in the numbers but my above list will remind me, it's not all about the scale. This is a lifestyle change and boy, do I love the changes!!!!

9 comments:

  1. Sometimes its not about the scale, its about LIFE! Way to go, keep up the good work! :-)

    Rebecca~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are making the right changes; mind and body! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Kiki! Sounds like you're making some awesome changes, and seeing some results already! Congratulations!

    I'm dragging my DH along on this journey. He's not as invested yet as I am, but he knows about keeping within the points and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the insights . The scale is only part of the equation, feeling healthier, more in control, more balanced and more vibrant is the much bigger thing. And it only gets better !

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no magic pill. It takes hard work and ongoing commitment each and every day to achieve the results we want.

    Your list of accomplishments is outstanding at day 12. You should be so proud of yourself.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're seeing such incredible changes so early. They will be the motivation to continue through hard times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing great!

    We have a lot in common. I'm a mom to 6 and have been married 23 years. My highest weight that I know of was 281#. I got down to 206#, but am back up to 215# since the holidays. BAH!

    We're both A-Teamers(BLBE) too. Let's rock this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear so many great results for you! Well done! I am on team Angie too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the great post.
    And congrats on your list!

    ReplyDelete