Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This Isn't What I Planned!

I was on FIRE! Right after Christmas I was so ready to get healthy. Motivated, Determined, Un-stoppable were words I would have used to describe me back then.

Somehow that fire was diminished and I struggled for two weeks. My wonderful husband and I went to the beach for a few days the week before Valentine's Day. It was a wonderful time to talk about goals and self-reflection. I was ready to get back in the groove on Monday, February 9th. I did weigh in that morning and was down 1.4lbs. WooHoo! Then a nagging, familiar pain developed in my right calf.

I knew immediately what the pain meant. BLOOD CLOTS, two of them. Thankfully they were superficial, not the traveling kind. I was so frustrated because I knew this was going to slow me down. (this is my 6th time getting them) At my doctor's I was told to take it easy, elevate my leg a lot and not use my computer (I so need a laptop!) and for sure, NO EXERCISING!

I went back in this past Monday. One clot was gone the other one was worse. He said I really needed to take care of it. My doc said NO computer job and NO daycare kids. When I reminded him I have 7 kids he was concerned about how I was going to take care of myslef. No problem, I said, I have two great sisters and a wonderful women's organization at church that are always there when someone's in need.

I'll be meeting with a vascular specialist and will probably have to have my veins stripped or something. This health overhaul is going deeper than I expected.

Staying down and not working out is not helping me eat healthy. What is it about wanting junk food when you're being lazy? I watched Diet Tribe and in the last episode Morgan broke her arm serious enough to require surgery, plates, and pins. She was concerned about weighing in since she hadn't been active for two weeks. She stuck to her healthy eating and amazingly she still lost 7lbs in those two weeks. WOW!

I need to wrap my mind around needing to eating healthy even I'm on the couch most of the day.

4 comments:

  1. I am so so sorry to hear about your legs. That is awful. You just gotta remember that your main goal is to lose weight and get healthy even if you are sitting all of the time. Maybe you could read some motivating books whilst you are sitting. Just to keep your head in the game. I hope you legs are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds awful, I hope it gets better soon. I watched Diettribe too and I was just amazed at how well Morgan did. Makes me wonder what their diet plan was too. Good luck, I know you'll be able to do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly hope everything works out for you! I like Rebecca's idea about reading ... or you could do some sort of craft project that'll keep your hands too busy to eat like cross-stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like Karen's idea of some cross stitch! Or crochet. I have to do that too. I always want to eat when I watch tv, so it helps to keep my hands busy. I think there is a commercial that jokes about that too.
    Love you. WE CAN DO IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete